Dr Jane Nixon
Dr Jane Nixon MA Vet MB BSC MRCVS
Pictured: Jane Nixon riding her horse Drumkirk (Dinky)
Curriculum Vitae — updated Oct 2022
Dr Jane Nixon Equine Vet
- Nationality: British
- Gender: Female
- Marital Status: Widow
- Electoral role: Mrs Jane Hastie
- Professional name: Dr Jane Nixon
- Trading as: The Nixon Equine Veterinary Consultancy
- Website: https://nixonequinevetconsultancy.com
I have a lifetime interest and participation in equine development; as a practising veterinary surgeon specialising in the performance horse; with an extensive range of affiliated professional experience and voluntary service in the equine sector
- Main Interests the performance horse, particularly in regard to structure and functioning and its pre-purchase examination.
- In 2011 the practice sold and re-branded to Buckingham Equine Veterinary Practice Ltd with Jane Nixon as consultant, and concurrently Nixon Equine Veterinary Consultancy was formed.
- In 2005 formed Nixon Equine Veterinary Practice in partnership with Stewart Hastie, a solely equine practice, principally the sports horse.
- Continued in equine practice as an assistant until 1983 and became a junior partner until 1988 with Stewart Hastie, and then the principal partner of Nixon & Marshall, a solely equine and small animal practice.
- Joined Hastie & Jenkerson in July 1978 and worked in mixed practice for 2 years.
Other Professional & Voluntary Positions held past & present
- Veterinary Surgeon to Towcester Racecourse since 1978, Senior Veterinary Surgeon 2000 to 2018
- Veterinary Advisor to British Breeders 2018 — 2022
- Consultant Veterinary Surgeon to Society of Master Saddlers 2015 to date
- Member of the Worshipful Company of Saddlers Steering Group 2016 to 2020
- Member of Equine Industry Committee representing the British Equestrian Federation & SHBGB 2015 to date
- OV (Official Veterinary Surgeon) Equine DEFRA 1982-2016
- FEI Treating Veterinarian 2013-2017
- Consultant Veterinary Surgeon British Equestrian Federation Young Horse Evaluation Scheme & thereafter Futurity Scheme 2001 to 2022
- Secretary to The Association of Racecourse Vets 2008-2010
- Council member British Equine Veterinary Association 1993-1999
- Member of BEVA working party on Artificial Insemination 1993-1999
- Chairman of BEVA Breeders Liaison Group 1996-1999
- BEVA Council representative to BHS Council 1994-1999
- BEVA Council representative to BHS Welfare Committee 1994-1999
- RCVS Riding Establishments Act Sub Committee 1994-1999, Inspector County Council riding schools 1980 to date
- Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Farriers since 1993 and active member of their Craft Committee with particular interest in liaison between Veterinary Surgeons and Farriers 1996 — 1999
- Equine Veterinary Consultant to GENUS
- Responsibility for biosecurity University of Buckingham laboratory animals and local quarantine kennels 1988-2003
- President North West Bucks Agricultural Association 2009
Extra-Curricular and other Voluntary Activities
- British Equestrian Medal of Honour awarded at Badminton by BEF Chairman 2022
- Yeoman Worshipful Company of Saddlers appointed Ambassador / Honorary Freeman 2021
- Chair BEF Member Body – The Showing Council 2021 to date
- Saddle Research Trust Member of Veterinary & Scientific Advisory Committee
- Director BHSQ 2020 to date https://bhsq.co.uk
- Chair British Horse Foundation 2020 to date
- Chair Buckingham University Medical School Fitness to Practise Committee 2020-2021
- Member British Equestrian Equine Infectious Diseases Advisory Group 2019 to date
- Board Director Equine Development 2012 – 2020
- Inaugural Chairman British Breeders Network 2015-2016
- Director British Breeding 2012
- BSPS Judges Enquiry Committee 2013 to date
- Owned, produced and ridden internationally top-class working hunters since 1986
- Joint Master of The Grafton Hunt 2001 – 2008, 2008 – 2012
- Council Member Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain 2009-2012
- Consultant Veterinary Surgeon to Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain 2009 to date
- Member Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain Breeders Committee 2011 to date
- Chairman of Sports Horse Breeding of Great Britain Show Committee 2011-2012
- Director Joint Measurement Board 2012 and Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain representative
- Lecturing to and cooperation with national breed societies and others re production of the performance horse.
- Gained Pony Club ‘A’ Tes
- Rode for Cambridge University, Half Blue
- University of Nottingham 1973 BSc – Agricultural Zoology
- University of Cambridge 1978 MA, Vet.M.B, MRCVS
Aims and Objectives: 10 Year Plan
- Equine Veterinary Consultancy on going
- The education of those responsible for the welfare of the sports horse and to maximise performance of the sport horse through breeding and management programs
- Continuing examination and treatment of the underperforming sports horse
- Generally working within and without the profession to maintain the standards of the equine veterinary profession, and so to promote the welfare of the horse in all aspects: so continuing the work of my late husband, P Stewart Hastie, MRCVS, Hon Fellow Society of Master Saddlers and BHS order of Merit [welfare], Hon vet RDA first 4 years and liaison thereafter.
Extra-Curricular Activities on going
- The continuing improvement of the British sport horse in all disciplines and the co-incidental enhanced well-being derived from equestrianism at all levels.
- Increased involvement between British Equestrian Federation in particular and Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain and the British Horse Foundation to further more detailed research and development of producing objectively recognised good foundation stock, and to promote the mutual horse human partnership benefits afforded by equestrianism.